Applying As a Dual Credit Student

High school juniors and seniors have the opportunity to earn college credit while still enrolled in high school by taking university courses normally not offered at the high school. Dual credit students receive both high school and college credit simultaneously. Admission as a dual credit student is a non-degree status and is not considered “Early Admission” to the university. Students desiring to continue in degree seeking status after high school graduation must apply for admission and fulfill freshmen admission requirements. Students who are interested in learning more about the dual credit admission should contact the Student Recruitment and Undergraduate Admissions for assistance by phone at 505-454-3394, or email admissions@nmhu.edu .

Required Forms

There are minimum requirements for admission to the dual credit program. Individual high schools may require higher qualifications before certifying and recommending a student. Meeting the criteria listed below does not guarantee admission. In all cases, the final admission determination will be made by the Student Recruitment and Undergraduate Admissions.

To be considered for dual credit admissions students must meet the following requirements:

  • High school junior with a 3.0 GPA OR High school senior with a 2.0 GPA;
  • Submit a dual credit request form with parent/legal guardian and school signatures;
  • Submit an undergraduate admissions application;
  • Official high school transcript including all courses completed, as well as those in progress; and
  • Submit ACT/SAT scores, students who do not submit ACT/SAT scores will be required to take the accuplacer exam prior to enrollment.

Students who have previously attended Highlands as a dual credit student only need to provide parent permission and school permission by obtaining signatures on the dual credit request form.

Any new students should be referred to the Office of Student Recruitment & Undergraduate Admissions for dual credit admission to NMHU.

Felix Martinez Building – 110

Dual Credit Student FAQ

1) What is dual credit?
The New Mexico dual credit Program allows Bureau of Indian Education (BIE), home school, private and public* high school students to earn core and elective credit for high school and simultaneously, earn credit for college upon successful completion of dual credit college courses.

2) What is a dual credit course?
Dual credit courses are college courses taken for both high school and college credit by students who have not yet completed their HS Diploma or GED. The courses need to be approved by both the high school and the college where you want to take courses, so check with your high school counselor or administrator first.
Courses must be able to apply toward a postsecondary degree or certificate program. Remedial and developmental courses at the college may not be taken for dual credit, since they do not count toward a degree or certificate program.

3) Can I take a PE class for dual credit?
No. PE activity classes are specifically not eligible for dual credit. However, there may be classes taught by the college or university that are in the Physical Education department that are not considered activity classes like Nutrition or Sports Management. Always check with your high school counselor to see if any non-activity PE classes you are interested in are restricted, but remember classes like Yoga, Basketball, and Weight Lifting are not allowed for dual credit.

4) Can I take a class like Bird Watching?
Probably not. Only college courses that would apply towards a postsecondary degree or certificate and count towards your high school diploma can be taken for dual credit. Always check with your high school counselor or administrator to be sure.

5) How is dual credit different from concurrent enrollment?
There are a few differences. BIE-funded, homeschool, private and public school* dual credit students do not pay tuition at the postsecondary public college or university. Dual credit courses also guarantee both high school and college credit upon successful completion. Concurrent enrollment, by contrast, may result in a student earning college credit while in high school, but does not result in a student earning high school credits. In some cases, your high school might give you high school credit for concurrent enrollment college classes that you pay for on your own, but do not assume they will. Check with your high school counselor or administrator.

6) What does it cost me to participate in the New Mexico dual credit program?
Nothing to very little. Public colleges, universities, and some tribal colleges have agreed to waive tuition and general fees. Your high school will provide textbooks and most course supplies. You and your family will be responsible for special course fees and possibly, transportation (students may ride on secondary school buses if the dual credit course takes place during regular school hours and the high school is able to provide the transportation). You can get more specific cost information from your high school counselor or administrator.

7) How do I find out what courses are offered at my high school or local college?
Ask your high school counselor or administrator. Almost all high schools have at least one dual credit Master Agreement with a public college, university, or tribal college. Approved course lists are included in the Master Agreement between your school district and one or more postsecondary institutions. The course list is referred to as the “Appendix” and many are available on the dual credit website. Visit the PED-dual credit website at: http://www.ped.state.nm.us/ped/CCR_programs_dualcredit_appendices.html. In some cases, you may be able to take the course online.

8) Why should I consider taking dual credit courses?
There are several reasons. First, you gain exposure to the experience of college while still in high school to help you get a head start determining what you want out of college. Another good reason is you can get some college credits without spending any money or using any financial aid. Lastly, you may feel your high school courses are not sufficiently challenging; the New Mexico dual credit Program can allow you to try more difficult coursework.

9) How do I know if I am eligible to take dual credit courses?
All students who have not yet received their High School Diploma or GED are eligible. You must be enrolled at your high school in one-half or more of the minimum course requirements approved by the New Mexico Public Education Department or if enrolled in a BIE-funded high school you must be receiving at least three documented contact hours per day. You also have to meet the eligibility requirements for New Mexico dual credit Program participation established by your high school and the postsecondary institution. Check with your high school counselor or administrator for more information.

10) How do I know if I am ready to take dual credit courses?
Talk to your high school counselor or teacher so he/she can help you determine if you will benefit from taking dual credit courses. Use your Next Step Plan (NSP) or Individualized Education Plan (IEP) as a road map to help guide you on whether you choose dual credit courses as an option. Students must take at least one honors, or Advanced Placement, or dual credit, or distance learning course to graduate from high school. Work with your counselor to determine if dual credit coursework is a good option for you and to determine that you meet both your high school and the postsecondary school dual credit eligibility requirements.

To  apply as a dual credit student, click here.