Graduate students

Graduate students

At New Mexico Highlands University, the scholarship is available to U.S. citizens or permanent residents who are pursuing a master’s degree primarily in Business Administration, Natural Sciences, Applied Chemistry, and Media Arts and Computer Science. Applicants who are members of a “group underrepresented in his/her intended graduate or professional field of study” may also be considered. Native Americans and individuals with disabilities are eligible regardless of graduate program. Preference is given to new students who have been admitted to, but are not yet attending NMHU as graduate students and have shown outstanding undergraduate scholastic achievement and financial need (FAFSA required).

A full-time scholarship carries a stipend of $7,200 per academic year and must be matched by a half-time assistantship from the academic unit. Eligible nominees will be rated based on the criteria cited above.

A complete application must be submitted to the School/College Dean for nomination. Deadline to be considered for an award is Monday, April 1, 2017.

What are the steps to apply for Financial Aid for Graduate School?

The steps to apply for financial aid for graduate school are similar to the same steps you followed for your undergraduate years. The primary difference is that you are not expected to provide any parental data on your FAFSA. When you are admitted to graduate school you are considered an independent student for financial aid purposes regardless of your living situation or whether you are still claimed by your parents. For those students previously considered independent for FAFSA purposes for other reasons (e.g. married, children, 24 years old +, etc.) there is no change in the data you will report on your FAFSA. Follow the steps below to ensure that you are considered for your maximum aid:

  1. File your FAFSA. This is your first step to any Federal Financial Aid. If you would like to be considered for a work study award you will need to complete your FAFSA by March 1 and submit any missing documentation by April 15. Graduate students are not eligible for subsidized loans as of 2012, the two types of loans that graduate students are eligible for are:

Unsubsidized Loans

Graduate PLUS Loans

Note: It is important you know your annual loan limits and plan accordingly. Unsubsidized loans are held to an annual loan limit (fall, spring, summer) of $20,500 and Graduate PLUS loans cannot exceed your Cost of Attendance.

  1. Complete your Financial Aid File. You will need to submit any missing documentation required of you prior to being awarded any type of Financial Aid. Once your file is complete, you will then be awarded financial aid. For new school years (beginning in Fall – August), our office awards as early as the beginning of April.
  2. View your awards. Once you have been awarded you will be able to view your awards on your MYNMHU account. At this time if you have not been offered a Graduate PLUS loan you can request that you be awarded one. It is also at this time that you will need to inform the Financial Aid Office if you are receiving any outside aid (GA/TA).
  3. Complete your Loan Documents. Borrowers will need to complete their Loan Entrance Counseling or Financial Awareness Counseling (if you have completed Entrance Counseling before then you will complete the Financial Awareness Counseling). Complete the Federal Direct Stafford Loan Request Form. Once your loan has been approved complete the Master Promissory Note (if you don’t already have one on file).
    5. Ready your Financial Aid file for Disbursement of funds. Initial disbursement begins the third week of classes for the start of a new semester and continually after that every Tuesday and Thursday when aid is released to your student account. If you register for enough credits (you need to inform financial aid if you will be enrolled less than full-time) and you have a complete Financial Aid file, all of your accepted aid will transfer into your Business Office Student Account.  In order for your financial aid to credit your NMHU account, your financial aid file must be complete and you must be making satisfactory academic progress (SAP) and be enrolled for enough credit hours. Sign up for Direct Deposit with the Business Office for the quickest refund method.

Title V CONECTADO Graduate Scholarship

In the fall of 2014 New Mexico Highlands University (NMHU) received a federal Title V, Part B grant from the U.S. Department of Education. The major purpose of the CONECTADO academic scholarship award is to expand post baccalaureate education opportunities for Hispanic Graduate Students across New Mexico in high employment need areas through online education programs in one of the following three areas:

  • Master of Curriculum and Instruction with an emphasis in Early Childhood Multicultural Education(ECME). This is a 36-credit hour degree that prepares students for leadership positions in Early Childhood Multicultural Education and Child Development related fields in state and federal government, or nonprofit institutions. Building on a foundation of advocacy, policy development, child study/assessment, teaching, early intervention services, program design/management, and research, the program emphasizes exceptional teaching and administrative skills. During the final semester of coursework, students may take the option of a Comprehensive Examination. The other two options for demonstrating mastery are a field project, or writing a thesis.
  • Master of Rehabilitation Counselingprepares quality counselors through excellence in education, scholarship and service. This 48 hour program consists of 36 core counseling and research hours. The emphasis in Rehabilitation Counseling is accomplished with 12 hours in counseling and special education to complete the 48 hour requirement. The Rehabilitation Counseling Program (RC) at NMHU was accredited in 2012 by the Council in Rehabilitation Education (CORE).
  • Master of Arts in Education with a Concentration in Special Education (36 hours) is a program structured around three components: Special Education area (12 credit hours), emphasis area (12 credit hours), and Capstone Project (1-6 credit hours) requirement. The Capstone Project choices are a field project, thesis or comprehensive examination.

Click here to read more about the Title V CONECTADO Graduate Scholarship.

Non-degree Graduate Students

Non-degree Students and Financial Aid – In general Federal Regulation requires that students be admitted to a degree granting program in order to be eligible for Financial Aid. This means that Non-degree students are NOT eligible for Financial Aid.