Parent Resource Page
If you are the parent of an enrolled or future NMHU Cowboy/ Cowgirl, we have compiled some information especially for you.
While your child is worried about getting into college, you’re probably more concerned about paying for it. NMHU is here to help. Our goal is to make a college education affordable for all students regardless of their families’ financial situation. NMHU offers a number of financial resources (grants, scholarships, loans and employment opportunities) to assist students and families in meeting educational expenses.
The prospect of applying for financial aid can seem intimidating at first. The NMHU Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships is determined to help you and your student navigate through the financial aid process. Please contact us at any time throughout the process with questions and/or concerns. All students who have applied for admission to NMHU and completed a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) should visit MYNMHU web portal Financial Aid Tab to view their Financial Aid Status.
Completing the FAFSA – As a parent of a dependent college student, you are probably wondering how you complete the FAFSA and when you should complete the FAFSA. Below are some guides to help you navigate applying for Financial Aid. Remember, as a parent you are required to complete the parent portion of the FAFSA and sign your student’s FAFSA application with your own FSA ID (username & password). You, as the parent, will be required to have your own FSA ID in addition to your child. Without your information and signature, the FAFSA will be deemed incomplete.
- How to Apply for Financial Aid (step by step guide)
- Five minute FAFSA video
Cost of Attendance and Financial Aid Net Price Calculator
- Cost of Attendance (COA): COA is the estimated cost of attending NMHU. It includes items such as Tuition & Fees, Room & Board (both on and off campus), Books, Transportation, and a miscellaneous category. It is not your bill or what you owe to the University. To see what your student owes to the University they will need to consult their NMHU Business Office student account on the MYNMHU web portal.
- Prospective NMHU Students and Parents: Use our Financial Aid Net Price Calculator to determine what your estimated Cost of Attendance will be and an estimated guess on what Financial Aid you may be able to receive to help cover those costs.
- Current or Admitted Students: If you are currently admitted and have completed a FAFSA use MYNMHU web portal to view your financial aid status including your actual Cost of Attendance. Learn how the COA is used to determine your “Financial Need” and how COA can affect your awards.
Financial Aid deadlines
- March 1– NMHU’s FAFSA filing priority date
- April 15 – Submission of Additional Documentation priority deadline.
- Fall Loan Request deadline – Monday of finals week
- Appeals deadline – 10th week of semester for Fall & Spring Semesters. 4th week of Summer Semester.
- Spring Loan Request deadline – Monday of Finals week.
- Summer Loan Request deadline – Friday before finals week.
Business Office deadlines
- Enrollment Cancellation deadline (Click on Business Information)
More Parent Resources
- New Student Orientation
- Order your IRS Tax Transcript
- How to submit documents to the Financial and Scholarship Office
- By Mail:
New Mexico Highlands University
Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships
Las Vegas, NM 87701
- By Fax: 505-454-3398
- By Email: email@example.com