New Mexico Highlands University’s Counseling Program offers three exciting concentrations in our master’s programs tailored to suit your passion: school counseling, professional counseling, and the only rehabilitation counseling program in New Mexico.
Professional Counseling Emphasis
The Professional Counseling emphasis is designed to prepare students to be effective, proactive professionals who can select, utilize, and assess effective counseling strategies and interventions that lead to optimal outcome for clients. Students will demonstrate knowledge in all aspects of the counseling and human development needs of a diverse society. A student who completes the Professional Counseling Emphasis is eligible to apply for licensure with the New Mexico Counseling and Therapy Practice Board.
School Counseling Emphasis
The School Counseling Program is designed to prepare students to be effective, proactive professionals who can develop, organize, and implement outstanding and comprehensive school counseling programs designed on a solid base of research, counseling and educational theory, counseling techniques and process skills. A student who completes the School Counseling Emphasis is eligible to apply for licensure as a School Counselor with the New Mexico Department of Education.
Rehabilitation Counseling Emphasis
The Rehabilitation Counseling Program is designed to prepare students to be effective, proactive professionals who can collaboratively work up appropriate and effective plans for persons with disabilities. A student who completes the general Rehabilitation counseling emphasis area is eligible to apply for licensure as a Rehabilitation Counselor with the New Mexico Department of Education. Those who complete the accredited program requirements are eligible to sit for the National Certification Examination in Rehabilitation Counseling. Those who complete the Clinical Rehabilitation Counseling emphasis are also eligible to apply for licensure with the New Mexico Counseling and Therapy Practice Board.
Learn more about graduate programs at Highlands today by calling 800-338-6648, or simply complete and submit the form at the top.
With an NMHU Master’s Degree…
- Substance Abuse, Behavioral Disorder, and Mental Health Counselor https://www.bls.gov/ooh/community-and-social-service/substance-abuse-behavioral-disorder-and-mental-health-counselors.htm
- Substance abuse, behavioral disorder, and mental health counselors advise people who suffer from alcoholism, drug addiction, eating disorders, mental health issues, or other mental or behavioral problems. They provide treatment and support to help clients recover from addiction or modify problem behaviors.
- The median annual wage for mental health counselors was $42,840 in May 2016. The median annual wage for substance abuse and behavioral disorder counselors was $41,070 in May 2016.
- Employment is projected to grow 20 percent from 2016 to 2026.
- Marriage and Family Therapist https://www.bls.gov/ooh/community-and-social-service/marriage-and-family-therapists.htm
- Marriage and family therapists help people manage and overcome problems with family and other relationships.
- The median annual wage for marriage and family therapists was $49,170 in May 2016.
- Employment is projected to grow 20 percent from 2016-2026.
- School or Career Counselor https://www.bls.gov/ooh/community-and-social-service/school-and-career-counselors.htm
- School counselors help students develop academic and social skills and succeed in school. Career counselors assist people with the process of making career decisions by helping them develop skills or choose a career or educational program.
- The median annual wage was $54,560 in May 2016.
- Employment is projected to grow 11 percent from 2016 to 2026.
- Rehabilitation Counselor https://www.bls.gov/ooh/community-and-social-service/rehabilitation-counselors.htm
- Rehabilitation counselors help people with physical, mental, developmental, and emotional disabilities live independently. They work with clients to overcome or manage the personal, social, or psychological effects of disabilities on employment or independent living.
- The median annual wage for rehabilitation counselors was $34,670 in May 2016.
- Employment of rehabilitation counselors is projected to grow 10 percent from 2016 to 2026.