New Mexico Highlands offers an undergraduate degree in computer science with three areas of concentration: software/hardware systems, information systems, and an individualized program of study. Our program features a rigorous curriculum to ensure students graduate with the skills needed for a rewarding and successful career.
Students who earn a degree in computer science can look forward to a variety of rewarding career choices including information systems management, network administration, systems design, programming, database administration and more.
The computer science program features state-of-the-art laboratories and equipment. There are two large teaching labs, three small research labs, a student work lab, and an area set aside for network experimentation. Our software includes symbolic and numerical mathematics products, compilers for a good number of languages, integrated development environments, web and multimedia development tools, databases, and packages for special fields such as artificial intelligence. We even have computers set aside for student experimentation.
Find out more about the computer science program at Highlands today by calling 800-338-6648 or submitting the Contact Us form at the top.
With an NMHU Bachelor’s Degree…
- Computer Systems Analyst https://www.bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-systems-analysts.htm.
- Computer systems analysts study an organization’s current computer systems and procedures and design information systems solutions to help the organization operate more efficiently and effectively. They bring business and information technology (IT) together by understanding the needs and limitations of both.
- The median annual wage was $87,220 in May 2016.
- Employment is projected to grow 9 percent from 2016 to 2026.
- Database Administrators https://www.bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/database-administrators.htm
- Database administrators (DBAs) use specialized software to store and organize data, such as financial information and customer shipping records. They make sure that data are available to users and are secure from unauthorized access.
- The median annual wage was $84,950 in May 2016.
- Employment is projected to grow 11 percent from 2016 to 2026.
- Computer Hardware Engineer https://www.bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/computer-hardware-engineers.htm
- Computer hardware engineers research, design, develop, and test computer systems and components such as processors, circuit boards, memory devices, networks, and routers. These engineers discover new directions in computer hardware, which generate rapid advances in computer technology.
- The median annual wage was $115,080 in May 2016.
- Employment is projected to grow 5 percent from 2016 to 2026.
- Information Security Analyst https://www.bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/information-security-analysts.htm
- Information security analysts plan and carry out security measures to protect an organization’s computer networks and systems. Their responsibilities are continually expanding as the number of cyberattacks increases.
- The median annual wage was $92,600 in May 2016.
- Employment is projected to grow 28 percent from 2016 to 2026.